- Hallmark offered its first consumer-created card competition in the fall of 2007.
- The company currently sponsors about 10 greeting card competitions each year, each with a unique theme.
- On average, each Hallmark greeting card contest draws around 1,600 entries from consumers.
- Consumer-created cards feature the photography, artwork and writing of Hallmark’s consumers.
How does it work?
- Hallmark announces a theme and submission timeframe.
- Consumers go online to HallmarkContests.com to submit their own photographs or artwork along with a sentiment that fits with the theme.
- A team of Hallmark judges chooses the winners, and those cards are sold on Hallmark.com. Winners receive $250.
- At a later date, Hallmark chooses from the winners which cards will be sold in stores. Those card creators receive an additional $250.
- Complete details are available online at HallmarkContests.com.
- Consumer-created cards are available online year-round at Hallmark.com.
- The contest has evolved and now has an active community on the contest Facebook page.
Hallmark offered its first consumer-created greeting card competition in the fall of 2007. The contest encouraged consumers to create a greeting card with a (PRODUCT) RED theme. The competition had 254 entries, and 10 winners were chosen. Their cards were sold online at Hallmark.com.
Originally, consumers were encouraged to vote for their favorite cards online, and winning designs were then made into greeting cards that Hallmark sold online and/or in stores. The program has evolved, and now contest periods are shorter with more contests held each year, and online voting is no longer used.
Today, each Hallmark greeting card contest draws an average of 1,600 entries. Hallmark chooses finalists’ cards that are sold online and the winning designs that are sold in stores. Finalists receive $250, and winners receive an additional $250 if their cards are chosen to be sold in stores.
Consumer-created cards are available online at HallmarkContests.com, Hallmark.com, at Hallmark Gold Crown® stores nationwide and in select other stores where Hallmark products are sold. Use the store locator to find the nearest Hallmark Gold Crown store.