Always observed on February 14
- Approximately 142 million Valentine’s Day cards are exchanged industry-wide (not including packaged kids’ valentines for classroom exchanges), making Valentine’s Day the second-largest holiday for giving greeting cards.
- In addition to the United States, Valentine’s Day is celebrated in Canada, Mexico, United Kingdom, France, Australia, Denmark, and Italy.
- Hallmark first offered Valentine’s Day cards in 1913 and began producing them in 1916.
- According to the National Retail Federation, the average person celebrating Valentine's Day spent nearly $130 in 2013.
2014 Product News
Valentine's Day Greeting Cards
- Hallmark offers about 1,200 Valentine's Day greeting cards, including 99-cent value cards, Shoebox humor cards, Mahogany valentines for African-American consumers, and Hallmark Sinceramente designs with Spanish and bilingual messages designed for Hispanic consumers.
- Hallmark provides Valentine's Day cards for a wide variety of family relationships, including parents, siblings, children, spouse, partner, grandparents, and grandchildren.
- Hallmark Gold Crown® stores offer the widest variety of traditional, elegant and contemporary cards, plus unique and innovative cards including:
- Hallmark Signature Collection: Exquisite textures, premium quality papers, fun embellishments, and relevant messages make Hallmark Signature Collection cards for Valentine's Day truly unique, just like a signature.
- Card Presenter Collection: Highly crafted card presenters (upscale envelopes) enhance the value, prestige and emotion of delivering a Hallmark valentine. Elegant and beautiful designs include locking clasps, ribbons and other adornments to enrich the experience of hand-delivering a romantic card. Presenters are paired with an elegant Valentine's Day card with heartfelt, romantic messages. Includes designs for him and for her.
- Big Valentine Wishes: Oversized die-cut characters make an appearance for Valentine's Day – this time showing love in a BIG way, just for kids.
- Between You & Me: These cards help people express relevant and meaningful messages from a personal and heartfelt point-of-view. Cards deliver high emotional value with heart-tugging sentiments for the closest of relationships.
- Duck Dynasty® – New for 2014, Valentine's Day cards featuring the bearded stars of the hit TV show "Duck Dynasty" on A&E. Let the Robertsons deliver a "Happy, Happy, Happy" romantic wish. Duck Dynasty Valentine's Day cards are available in participating Hallmark Gold Crown stores, Walmart stores, and other select retailers.
- Personalized Valentine's Day greeting cards are available on Hallmark.com. The sender can create the perfect Valentine's Day card by personalizing the text and adding photographs. Hallmark.com will then stamp and send the card directly to the recipient or back to the sender to hand deliver.
- Hallmark.com offers several premium card formats including Storytelling Trifold photo cards with room for multiple photos to tell a story. These accordion-folded cards provide lots of design and layout options.
- Hallmark.com also provides cards featuring laser die-cuts, metallic and foil processes, and premium papers.
- There are also 24 different designs of personalized classroom valentines, which add a personal touch to kids handing out valentines at school. These can feature the sender's and/or recipient's name, as well as photos.
- Hallmark Go Cards – Stay in touch on the go with this free app for iOS, Windows 8 and Intel devices. Consumers can select, personalize and send a paper greeting card from their devices anytime and from anywhere. Edit messages, add photos and import contacts, write with a finger on the screen of the device to add a signature, then press send, and for $3.49 a paper card will be delivered to the recipient.
Valentine's Day Gifts
Hallmark Gold Crown stores offer a variety of Valentine's Day gifts including singing and dancing stuffed animals, and Hallmark Confections premium chocolates. Valentine gifts such as photo frames, gift books, storybooks, music boxes, pendants, light-hearted gifts, and mugs also are available at Hallmark Gold Crown stores.
- The Hearts a-Hoppin’ Frog dances in sync to a parody of the song, “Hot, Hot, Hot.” A coordinating book, The Runaway Heart, features this fun frog as the main character.
- The Yakety Smackety Dawg sings one of three versions of the song, “Yakety Yak,” each time the button is pushed. A coordinating Yakety Smackety Dawg Read & Play Activity Book features mazes, matching, coloring and stickers.
- Cupig, a plush pig with wings who shuffles and sings a parody of “The Cupid Shuffle” returns to stores this year by popular demand. Also available is a book titled Cupig's Shuffle.
- Additional licensed plush characters also are available, including Mickey and Minnie Mouse, Scooby-Doo, Snoopy, and Pepe Le Pew. Some of these also feature sound and/or movement.
- Hallmark has added several new characters to the itty bittys™ line of pint-sized (3 to 4 inches tall) plush characters that collectors and kids love to play with and collect. The characters include two limited-edition Valentine’s Day designs – Happy Hearts Mickey and Minnie Mouse, and two limited-edition everyday designs – Donald and Daisy Duck. In addition, four members of the Justice League™ are now available – Wonder Woman, Flash, Superman and Batman.
- New Tiny Talkers feature a charming Chihuahua and chatty chimpanzee. Press the button on the base, and the heavy paper critters’ mouths move while they say one of three funny phrases.
- The Magic Message Reveal Heart is a beautiful heart-shaped box with a crystal-clear window. At the touch of a hand, the message “Always remember I love you” appears in the window.
- Suddenly Flowers is a new innovation from Hallmark. Just lift the lid off the designed box to reveal a beautiful bouquet of carefully crafted paper flowers with a meaningful message.
- Interactive Story Buddy® characters are loveable plush animals that can respond with several different adorable phrases when they hear their stories read to them or when they listen to their read-along CDs.
- A new Tigger bundle is arriving in stores in time for Valentine’s Day. The bundle includes a Disney Tigger plush Story Buddy, his first book, Tigger Bounces Back and an audio CD. Tigger’s second book, Tigger the Magician, puzzle and activity book are sold separately.
- In addition to responding to select lines in his book, the Tigger interactive Story Buddy also responds to the Winnie the Pooh interactive Story Buddy, which is also sold in Hallmark Gold Crown stores.
- Magic Prints personalized gifts come with a mess-free Crayola® magic solution, so kids can add a personal touch – their handprint – to specially designed frames and gifts. When a child uses the Magic Mitt applicator and places a hand on the paper, their handprint appears, revealing a colorful pattern or message within the handprint.
- Hallmark partners with Shutterfly on a new way to create unique, personalized gifts for any occasion. Select a One-of-a-Kind Creations photo gift or frame at a Hallmark Gold Crown store. Go to the www.shutterfly.com web address provided on the package to access templates for the gift or frame. Upload new photos or access photos already stored in a Shutterfly account. Redeem the two promotion codes included with the product for free printing of photos cut and sized to fit the frame and free shipping to the consumer's home.
- Until We Hug Again™ Plush – Share the love of a hug when a loved one can't be there with these recordable plush toys – a brown and blue bear, and a pink bunny.
- Two new Recordable Storybook titles are perfect for Valentine's Day: Berenstain Bears – I Love You All Ways! and My Wish For Your Future. In addition, four of Hallmark’s classic titles with love themes are available, including Guess How Much I Love You, That's What Grandmas Do, Love You Forever, and All the Ways I Love You.
- Other Valentine's Day gift options include mugs, stationery, jewelry, chocolates and candy, and gift books.
- Valentine partyware for home, school and office, plus stickers and a variety of gift bags, wrap, tissue and add-ons makes one-stop valentine shopping easy.
According to Roman legend, during the third century, Valentinus was imprisoned for his Christian beliefs and sentenced to death. While jailed, according to legend, Valentinus restored the sight of his jailer’s blind daughter. The night before he died, Valentinus wrote a farewell note to the girl, which he signed, “From Your Valentine.” His sentence was carried out the next day, Feb. 14, 269 A.D.
Hundreds of years later in fifth century Rome, people honored Juno, the pagan goddess of love and marriage, on Feb. 14. During the celebration, men would draw women’s names and court them for marriage.
Around 498 A.D., Pope Gelasius declared Feb. 14 as St. Valentine’s Day to honor the martyr Valentinus and to end the pagan celebration.
In 1849, Esther Howland of Worcester, Mass., published the first American valentine.
Hallmark Valentine's Day cards are available at Hallmark Gold Crown® stores nationwide and wherever Hallmark products are sold. Hallmark gifts for Valentine's Day are found at Hallmark Gold Crown stores. Use the store locator on Hallmark.com to find the nearest Hallmark Gold Crown store.